Job Seeker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

Q: Are the American Job Centers the unemployment office?

A: No. We provide maximum workforce results from one convenient location, offering computerized labor market information, Internet access, workshops,, job placement, recruitment, training and referrals.

Q: Can I file my Unemployment Claim at the American Job Center?

A: Yes.  While staff are unable to take/process an unemployment claim, as all claims must be filed online at, staff at the American Job Center may assist you in completing the process online using the American Job Center’s resource/computer lab.

Q: Do I have to serve a waiting period when I sign up for unemployment?

A: Yes (One waiting week to be served during a benefit year).

Q: What determines how much I can draw for unemployment?

A: Gross earnings made during the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters (the qualifying base period).

Q: Do I have to file my unemployment claim in the same county that I worked?

A: No. You must file your unemployment claim by Internet ( Claims cannot be taken in the local American Job Centers.  However, the American Job Centers have a resource/computer lab available for public use.

Q: Who can use the Resource Room at the American Job Center?

A: The Resource Room may be used by jobseekers, who are 16 years of age or older, and employers.

Q: What is a workshop/informational session, how much do they cost, and how do I sign up?

A: Call (423) 317-1078 for information and to sign up for one of the many workshops offered.  Workshops cover various topics from basic computer skills to financial literacy.  All workshops/informational sessions are provided at no cost to you.

Q: How can I find out about the best jobs and careers in this area?

A: You can go to or visit an American Job Center near you.

Q: Can someone help me with my resume?

A: Yes. We have resume labs and staff available to answer any questions you may have about resumes. Resume assistance is provided at no cost to you.

Q: Which partner agencies are located at the comprehensive American Job Center in Morristown?

A: Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) / Walters State, Center for Workforce Development
Adult Education
Vocational Rehabilitation

Q: Can someone help me if I’m a Veteran?

A: Yes, there is a Veteran’s representative at the comprehensive American Job Center in Morristown. Just identify yourself as a Veteran when you visit or call.

Q: What services can I receive at the American Job Center?


Career Guidance
Access to job listings and job fairs
Free use of a resource lab with computers and internet for job search purposes
Computers and internet for use in filing Unemployment Claims
Resume assistance
Vocational assessments
Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
On-the-Job Training (OJT)
Funding for skills training (pending eligibility verification)
Workshops / Informational sessions
Referrals to other agencies
Veterans programs
Access to employers
Dislocated Worker services
Screening and Recruitment services
Labor Market Information (LMI)
Layoff/Closure assistance
Trade Readjustment Assistance (TRA)
Re-employment services (RESEA)

Q: When is the American Job Center open?

A: The American Job Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (standard–Adult Education Class times vary and change this)

Q: What services are available at the affiliate American Job Center offices?

A: You will find WIOA staff in each affiliate center with full services available to that program. In addition, you will find electronic access for job listings through, as well as internet access to file your Unemployment Claim.

Q: Do you have Adult Education classes at the American Job center?

A: Yes, the classes are available at the American Job Center at Morristown and Sevierville.

Q: Can the Adult Education teacher help me refresh my skills so that I may help my children?

A: Yes. Educated parents tend to have better educated children. We have refresher classes available for math, reading, and writing skills.

Q: I already have my High School Equivalency or High School Diploma, but I have to take an entrance exam for employment, college, or technical school. Can the Adult Education Program help me prepare for this exam?

A: Yes. First, you must take the CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System). If you score below 12th grade level, you may enroll in Adult Education classes.

Q: If I don’t want a High School Equivalency, can I just learn to read?

A: Yes. Whether you are a nonreader or want to increase your reading skills, the Adult Education Program can help.

Q: Can the Adult Education Program teach me specific reading or math skills for my job?

A: Yes. The Adult Education Program can help in the areas with which you are having difficulty.

Q: Will the Adult Education classes be large?

A: Adult Education classes are much less formal and smaller than when you attended school. An average number in a class is from 10 to 15.

Q: I don’t speak or write English very well. Can Adult Education teach me to speak and write English?

A: Yes. ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are available.

Q: What other services are available through the Adult Education Program?

A: Adult Education offers a comprehensive battery of seven aptitude and interest tests. The program generates interest and aptitude profiles that are used to match the individual to career, training, and educational options.

Q: Is there a charge for Adult Education classes or services?

A: No. Classes and study materials are provided to you at no cost.

Q: What do I need to do to get my High School Equivalency?

A: You should contact the Adult Education Program at the American Job Center in Morristown or Sevierville.

Q: Once I contact the Adult Education Program, what are the steps required to obtain a High School Equivalency?

A: First, you must take the CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System).  This assessment will pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses, and  recommendations will be made concerning further study or an appointment will be made for you to take the official practice test.

Q: Do I have to take a practice test?

A: Yes. A ruling was established in 2003 stating that everyone must take a notarized official practice test before they can take the official test.

Q: Where can I take the official practice test?

A: At any Adult Education location.

Q: If I need to attend Adult Education classes, where do I go?

A: To your local Comprehensive American Job Center.

Q: I am very shy, and I don’t want to attend Adult Education classes. May I study at home?

A: It is possible to study at home, but studies have shown that a student benefits from being in a classroom environment.

Q: How much does it cost to take the official test?

A: Governor Haslam and the TN General Assembly have allocated funds to cover the cost of the HiSET®. Individuals throughout the State of Tennessee can now enroll in classes, traditional or online, and take the HiSET® in order to receive a high school equivalency diploma at no cost.

Q: What is Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)?

A: VR is a federal/state program that helps people with disAbilities to enter, maintain, or return to employment. The program is charged to help people achieve and maintain meaningful careers.

Q: Who is eligible for VR Services?

A: Anyone who has a physical or mental impairment that makes it difficult to find or keep a job or needs assistance to do so, may be eligible. A determination of  eligibility based on medical and/or psychological records, along with an assessment of the disability affects the ability to work. A person who receives Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Insurance benefits (SSI) as a result of disability or blindness is presumed to be eligible, if that person intends to enter employment.

Q: What kinds of services does VR provide?

A: Services are provided based on the individual’s abilities, interests, and informed choice.  Services may include training, medical or psychological treatment that would increase the individual’s ability to work, rehabilitation technology, job placement and follow-up, and post-employment services. All clients receive counseling and guidance, as an integral part of their services, to help the individual reach his or her employment potential.

Q: What if I want training or other services, but I don’t want to go to work?

A: All VR services are provided for the purpose of preparing a person to enter employment, return to employment, or maintain employment.

Q: I receive SSDI benefits, and I am afraid that if I go to work I will lose my Medicare. How can a person who receives SSDI or SSI disability benefits find out how VR services or employment would affect their benefits?

A: A VR counselor will put you in touch with a benefits specialist who can help find out what you need to know about SSDI or SSI benefits.  The benefits specialist can help you make work pay.

Q: How can I apply for VR services?

A: Contact your local American Job Center.

Q: My VR counselor told me I am eligible for services, but I can’t receive those services because of the order of selection. What is an order of selection?

A: Federal law states that is there is not enough funding available to provide services to all persons who are eligible, state VR programs must give first priority for services to applicants who have the most significant disabilities and limitations. Tennessee’s VR program has funding to provide services only to those individuals who have the most significant disabilities and who are designated as “Priority Category 1”.

Q: Does VR assist with purchasing hearing aids or glasses?

A: Assistive devices are provided on an individualized basis for those meeting specific criteria as determined by Specialized Caseload Counselors for the hearing and visually impaired.